Powered by Blogger.

Schoolhouse Review: Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Makers

Friday, August 17, 2012

Christian Liberty Press has been supplying homeschoolers with curricula for many years. They provide curricula for grades Pre-K-12th grade and are trusted among the Christian, homeschooling community. I have used many of their history books and am currently using a few today.
For this review I received Mr. Pipes and the British Hymns in Pdf format. The cost for the pdf book is $8.79 but if you prefer a good old fashion printed book like I do, you can purchase one for $9.89 I was delighted to be one of the reviewers for this book because it was on my 'to buy' list.

Annie and Drew are two American youngsters visiting Olney England with their mother. She is busy with work, so the children have lots of time on their hands to explore the 'old' and what they think, dull town. They meet many interesting people one being Mr. Pipes, who plays a pipe organ (hence the name Mr. Pipes).
As Mr. Pipes and the children spend more and more time together, he tells the children stories of hymn writers from Britain. Through the powerful words of the hymn and stories, Mr. Pipes is also teaching them about God and his grace. I don't want this to be a spoiler, so I won't go into too much of the story, but I will say that Annie and Drew no longer thought Olney England a boring place. It became alive and full of history.
A new hymn writer is introduced in each chapter. Nine in total. What I thought was a nice bonus, at the end of each chapter is a full musical score.
What did the children and I think of Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Maker? Very interesting and we too enjoyed the history learning. The chapters are quite long and for me had to be read in more than one sitting. The children would have loved for me to continue. They kept shouting, "Read more, read more", but I would have to stop do to allergies that itch my throat.

To read more reviews of this wonderful book, please visit the Schoolhouse Review Crew website.
**Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Crew, I received this product, at no cost to me, in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are mine.

1 comments :

Cynthia said...

I've had my eyes on these books for years, now your review has made me want to finally read them. I think the kids will enjoy them too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Places I enjoy!

Words of Wisdom

Christian Women Online


It is easier to build strong children Frederick Douglass quote at DailyLearners.com Thank goodness I was never sent to school...Beatrix Potter quote at DailyLearners.com


If God sends us on a stony path, He will provide us with strong shoes. --A. Maclaren

If you live right, chances are your children will too. But teach them everything. What you don't teach them someone else will-and you might not like those lessons.-The Delany Sisters



Credits

Coffee Background: cutecolors
Coffee Bear Clipart: (c)Lisa's country clipart
Scrapbooking kit for banner and button
Jannidee from Janiscraps Beads:Nana's Attic

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP