Powered by Blogger.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, visit our disclosures page.

Only My Nature Boy!

Sunday after lunch, Lupe took the boys back to church. They and some other Alert Cadet members were cleaning up the church yard. Trimming treas, mowing, etc. Ethan decided to have some fun and climb trees. He found a really neat vine. When one of the fathers saw what Ethan was doing he said, “You know that’s poison ivy, right?”

Aaack! We had no idea that poison ivy grew as a vine, I guess it’s its root system?!?!?

He didn’t break out in a rash that day or Monday, so not knowing much about poison ivy, we thought he wasn’t going to get a rash.
Well, wrong! Early Tuesday morning like at 1:00 A.M. he came to me crying. He said his face itched and he couldn’t sleep. I had some Benadryl gel that I applied to his face. Poor guy, has it on his face!!!

Thankfully he fell asleep and I thought the worst was over. Wrong!
Tuesday he was itchy but it wasn’t super bad. He was able to get school done and play outside.

Although in this picture the rash was starting to really bother him.
You can’t really see it but it’s there.
I started researching ways to help ease the discomfort of poison ivy.
I called Lupe and asked him if he could stop at Target and pick up some Benadryl, Caladryl, and cucumbers. I read that cucumbers help.

By the time Lupe got home he was really itchy. I sliced the cucumber and put it on his face. I knew it was going to be a long night.

I was up till 1:00 A.M. trying everything I read that should help.
~apply cold coffee
~witch hazel
~rub banana peel
~hot water (hurt him)
~cold water
~I read where one lady put scotch tape on the rash
~baking soda paste (this really burned him)
At 1:00 A.M. I gave him some more Benadryl and both of us tried to get some sleep.

At 2:00 A.M. he woke me up crying. I had him take a shower. That helped for a while. He asked if we could do something to take his mind of the itching. I suggested playing Skip-Bo. We played three rounds. He won twice, I once.

About 3:30 A.M. I was really tired so I tucked him in on the couch, put an audio book (Stories of Jesus), and waited for him to fall asleep. By 4:00 A.M. he was out so I went to bed. Guess what, I couldn’t sleep. I heard the clock chime 5:00 and at 5:30 A.M. he was crying again.
I gave him some more Benadryl and sat with him for awhile. At 6:00 A.M. I crawled back into bed.

At 9:00 A.M. he was in tears once more. I don’t remember what happened but I did get some more sleep and woke around 10:30 A.M. By that time he came to my bed almost screaming that his face hurt so bad. Like it was burning.

Joshua, gave him an ice pack and right now he is watching a movie “The Game Plan” and I am drinking a very strong cup of java.

Edited because I forgot to add, around 9:00 A.M. I remember I was at my whits end as to what will ease the pain and itch. I reached for my Bee Rescued toothpaste. Its ingredients are: water, baking soda, xanthan gum, propolis extract, grapefruit oil, clove oil, and tea tree oil. 

Surprisingly it worked. It took the itch away but he didn't like the tight feeling it gave when it dried. By applying my toothpaste this was how I was able to get over an hour of sleep!


  1. Poor little soul. I hope he is feeling better soon, and that you both get some sleep tonight.

  2. Thank you Jessica, he is still itchy and someone at church recommended a product called Tecnu. We both had a good nights rest. In fact Ethan is still sleeping and it's 8:47 a.m. yay!

  3. Thank God for goodnights sleep and people who can recommend products! may it get better from here. Poison ivy seems to be nasty. Glad we don't have it here.

  4. So sorry. I hope he is feeling better now.

  5. Poor thing :( I hope that you both have been able to recover from your sleepless night.


Sorry about the word verification. I know it makes commenting no fun but I have been getting so much spam. Thank you for understanding and I hope you will take the time to comment. I love hearing from you all.